Saturday, October 27, 2012

Wicked 10k ~ 2012

This was my first run with my husband since last year's Wicked 10k.  We talked about it before the run and I told him that I was going to follow a run:walk ratio of 3:1.  I've only done one other 10k and that was the Wicked last year.  Last year my time was 1:45, so my goal was to beat that time.  

With the help of my husband pushing me along, I was able to beat that time....by 23 minutes!  We had much better weather for this race, even with impending tropical storm Sandy.  We kept with the plan from start to finish.  This was the first race I've really ran from start to finish with someone.  I'm usually the slow one of the group and I tend to start with a group and then we all run our own pace.  The first miles went by fairly quickly to me, I was enjoying the run:walk.

I guess I'm not a very happy runner, around mile 2.5, my husband looks over at me and says "I think I'll run ahead, I feel like I'm bothering you."  I told him he was actually helping me, and he agreed to stick with me as long as I'd smile a little.  So I did try to smile every now and then.  

We continued on over the next several miles and managed to cross the finish line at 1:22:05, average pace of 13:05, my best pace for a race to date.  I'm looking forward to finding another 10k to do sometime in 2013 to try for a new 10k PR :)


1 comment: